Friday, April 20, 2012

What Inspires You

Every month we are going to have one week dedicated to a certain topic. This week the writers of embrace your life are sharing things that inspire us.

Drawn towards a creative life at a very young age and being an only child, I was always found drawing, imagining, or creating in one form or another. Now I am the desigNERD behind Dig Deep Design Studio. I'm all about designing, writing, photographing and living a fruitful, fulfilled life. No other ambition than to find balance in myself and live an artful existence. You can find Diggers blog here & her shop here. Want to read more from Digger? You can do that here. 

"What inspires you?" 

Man! That's HARD!! Your comments have been so beautiful and more times than I can count , they have either started or ended with "You inspire me…" Is there a better compliment? I don't believe there is.




It's incredible really. Knowing that there is even one person out there that has been inspired by you is enough to make you want to get your life together. Accountability is by far the biggest motivator! Hands down! And, even though I would love to claim this "getting it together" as just me, I know it's not. It's just something about being a woman I think. Regardless of whether we are pregnant or not, I believe we all have a built-in "nesting gene". We want to create a safe home, a stable life, and a comfortable environment. It's the "mother" in us, even if, for now, it's just "hypothetical".

All that being said, I get a lot of my inspiration from here, from you guys. I won't lie. When I log on and see 8 new comments waiting to be moderated, I get excited. And it's not because I want to be the "popular blog" girl, see my name in print, have a mass following, or win some crazy big giveaway. I have no desires to be anything bigger than what I am. I just want to know that somebody is listening. And I want to know that my views and messages are coming across clear.


This is my story. My life. It's a work in progress, definitely not perfect, but always moving toward happiness. So, you asked where I get my inspiration from? Besides my boys, sunshine, music, springtime, and all of you reading my words daily? Hmm… that's actually a really hard one to answer. It's not from a single source. I take little pieces from all over and put them together to create "the big picture" in my head. 

I find myself wondering why we can hear a song, or see a movie, or read a passage and feel touched, while others can hear, see, or read the same things and feel nothing. Why do we connect emotionally with some people and not with others? I mean… I log on, read your comments and ALWAYS visit your blogs. I get a glimpse into your lives and sometimes it's like looking into a mirror. Things are so similar and I can find a lot in common. Other times, it's all vastly different. Nothing looks familiar.


Maybe I'm missing something. Can anybody else put it into words for me? I would LOVE to hear your opinions. My own explanation: inspiration. There is something there that clicks. It's why you decided to leave a comment. It's why you stayed around here long enough to read my wordy posts. 

It doesn't matter if we're carbon copies of each other or complete opposites, it doesn't take a lot to find inspiration. It's in the pieces we pick up; in the small corners and rural roads of life. It is next to impossible to find it on the freeway or when we're too busy trying to climb the ladder and our eyes are only focused on the next rung. 

So, I guess I can't really answer your question. I can show you through my words, and if you look close you can see it in my pictures, but I don't have the answer really. I am my own person. I've lived through things you haven't. I've had experiences you never will. I've conquered things that have never been a problem for you. And you've seen and done things I haven't. Maybe that's why certain things touch us differently. Something that changes my world, may not cause a ripple in yours. We are all unique. That's the best part of this life, isn't it?

Source: google.com via Emily on Pinterest

I could list a thousand things that have moved me over my lifetime. But they're not the same things that have or would have moved you. I could bore you to tears with story after story of why this song means more than that song, why this scent ALWAYS makes me cry, and why I search so deeply into every ounce of my life for reason and meaning. Those questions I could answer; this one I cannot. 

My inspirations are just that, mine. I don't say that to come across rude or even cruel-hearted. It's just that my list won't have the same effect on you that it does on me. I can't tell you what inspires me, but don't misunderstand, I love to share what moves me, that's what this whole blog is for. That's why I write. And I hope that I can inspire you with my lists and my thoughts.


You have my permission to use anything I write here and revamp it and add or take away from it to make it your own. We are all products of imitation. That's how we learn and how we grow. I'm not threatened by it. The only thing I ask is that you ponder it first. Make sure what you are taking and revamping is something that moves you, not just something that sounds pretty. Take only the things that speak directly to your soul. 

"It's not where you take things from - it's where you take them to."
 Jean-Luc Goddard

1 comment:

  1. So beautifully written Digger. You are so amazing with your words!

    ReplyDelete